Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Disintegration of an Ideal

Prior to becoming pregnant, I hadn’t eaten meat in four or five years. I had had fish once in a while, thanks to Ryan’s extreme talent at cooking irresistible salmon. But no other dead flesh had passed my lips for quite some time.

Early in my pregnancy my appetite nearly vanished. I didn’t have cravings so much as I had things I could imagine possibly … maybe … eating. Over those six or so weeks, our fridge and pantry were stocked with blueberry yogurt, (fresh blueberries, at times), apple sauce, saltines, “good for you” higher-fiber white bread, peanut butter, grape jelly, Apple Jacks, and Fruity Pebbles. I usually supplemented grazing on these foods with one “real” meal per day, which depended on what mood struck me at the time. There were many days of PB&J for lunch and dinner, though.

One evening after work I was watching television when a Subway commercial came on. I was suddenly struck with the notion that what I wanted to eat was a turkey sub from Subway, with cucumbers, tomatoes, and Dijon mustard. I was feeling pretty lousy but courageously drove down the street to our local Subway. During my drive, I started to remember the rather slimy texture of turkey meat from Subway. So while in line I followed the lead of the woman in front of me and ordered a chicken breast sandwich, instead. I knew full well that this chicken breast sandwich was no real chicken breast, but was instead a not-too-distant cousin of the hot dog, made with chicken parts. I ordered it with cucumbers and green peppers. I couldn’t fathom having the texture of the mostly-water iceberg lettuce comingled with the crispier vegetables. (Textures were a very key part of what I could and could not eat back then.)

I wolfed down 95% of that compressed-meat delicacy.

Another day, I was at a picnic. They were grilling up burgers and dogs. I decided hot dogs would taste quite good. I ate not just one, but three of them. Happily.

Since then, I have consumed at least half a dozen more hot dogs, sausage in a scramble at The Flying Biscuit, and several bites of chateaubriand at a wedding. Monday night I stopped by the Whole Foods hot bar to pick up dinner. I got a random mix of vegetarian options for me, and Cajun chicken with all the trimmings for Ryan.
By mid-meal I was gnawing Ryan’s Cajun chicken off its bones.

He took pictures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somewhere on the NW side of Chicago, Amitabul man is weeping softly for you.

Tori said...

ROFL!

Anonymous said...

Erm... Did you forget the meat lasagna, giant cheeseburger and BACON you consumed at the beach?

Tori said...

OMG - I think I truly must have blocked that out mentally. Holy cow!